My postcards map

GREECE - Thermopylae



Postcard from Thermopylae present The Leonidas Monument. From wikipedia:

"Thermopylae is a location in Greece where a narrow coastal passage existed in antiquity. It derives its name from several natural hot water springs."

About Battle of Thermopylae:

"Thermopylae is primarily known for the battle that took place there in 480 BC, in which an outnumbered Greek force of seven thousand (including the famous 300 Spartans) held off a substantially larger force of Persians under Xerxes. For six days they held out between two narrow cliff faces to prevent the use of Xerxes' vast cavalry force, before being outflanked on the third via a hidden goat path. The name since then has been used to reference heroic resistance against a more powerful enemy."

2 comments:

  1. One of the reasons why I like visiting your blog so much is because it has become a daily reference I can use in order to learn new nice stuff. It's like a curiosities box that surprises you over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, listen, I'm pretty new on this blogosphere and Internet thing, so I don't know if there's a sort of "subscription" method that I can use in order to receive notifications of your new entries...? Thing is I enjoy reading your blog a lot and I'd like to be up to date with your posts!

    ReplyDelete